I have for most of my life, and by that I mean since late elementary school, relied on magazines like Vogue, Seventeen and others of the sort to tell me what to wear, how to take care of my skin and hair and how to eat. Now I haven't always followed this advice, but it is safe to say it has royally screwed me up. I have let pop culture, over the past 30 years define what I think of myself. I am certainly not alone in this but never the less it feels like shit. It makes me pity the young girls of today. How can a young woman today have a chance at loving herself with the constant voice in her ear telling her how she isn't what she "needs" to be.
In all the advice I have heard, one piece I have heard over and over again. In self help books, magazine articles and advice from your local expert, "take it slow". Apparently if you try to do too much too fast it will break you and you will fail miserably at it all. So year after year, I lay out a plan of what I want to accomplish in the upcoming year and I set out to make it nice and easy in little steps. Guess what. It didn't work. I know you weren't expecting that were you. This all brings me to the point of why I writing all of this. I am here to prove that while it may not be easy it is definitely possible for this moody, out of shape, mom, wife, sister, teacher, friend, performer and film maker to accomplish just what she sets out to all at one time.
I want to share my successes and failures so maybe they will help others. When I fail I will take a bow and with a loud and lovely voice and proclaim, "I failed" and when I am successful, well you will know that too.
No comments:
Post a Comment